The following instructions show you how to get AppScale quickly up and running on Google Compute Engine.
To set up AppScale on a different cloud or to download the source code go to GitHub.
What you'll need to get started: A Google Cloud Platform project with billing enabled
1. Set up Google Compute Engine
One-time configuration to create a suitable network for AppScale. You will be able to re-use this network for all AppScale deployments.
- Go to your Google Cloud Platform project in the Google Developers Console.
- Under Compute/Compute Engine/Networks create a new network named “appscale” with the default Address Range (you can leave Gateway empty).
- For that network, add two new firewall rules (one for TCP and one for UDP) with the following parameters:
- Name: "all-tcp" / "all-udp"
- Source filter: "IP ranges"
- Source IP ranges: "0.0.0.0/0"
- Allowed protocols or ports: "tcp:1-65535" / "udp:1-65535"
2. Launch a GCE instanceImport the AppScale FastStart image and launch a GCE instance.
- Under Compute/Compute Engine/Images, click “New Image”, and fill out the form.
- Name: “your-image-name”
- Source type: “Cloud Storage object”
- Cloud Storage object path: “/appscale-images/faststart-appscale_image-2.3.1-None-1430333649.tar.gz”
- Click “Create”.
- Under Compute/Compute Engine/Images, select your new image and click “Create Instance”.
- Name: “your-instance-name” (Note: that will be your password to access the AppScale dashboard)
- Choose your zone of preference.
- Choose machine type (Recommended: n1-standard-1, n1-standard-2).
- Click “Management, disk, networking, access & security options”.
- Under Networking/Network choose “appscale”.
- Click “Create” and launch the instance.
- Wait for a few minutes while AppScale starts up (this video might help you pass the time).
3. Check out your appLog in to the AppScale Dashboard to see and manage your deployment.
- Copy the external IP from the GCE VM Instances console.
- Visit http://[external IP] to see a sample application.
- To log in to the AppScale dashboard, visit http://[external IP]:1080 (username: "email@example.com", password: “your-instance-name”).
- Great work, you've successfully deployed an app on AppScale!
Run into any issues? Feel free to reach out to us on IRC (#appscale), Twitter (@appscalecloud), or AppScale Community. Or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.